Art Nouveau shop window, Barking
Restoration of window.
Christina’s restaurant is a locally listed building dating from 1900 in the Town Centre Conservation Area of Barking. It was originally built as the local Stratford branch of the Co-op. The Co-op movement began in Rochdale as a mid-19th century social campaign, with co-operative values and principles around goods purchasing, and rapidly developed over the next 50 years. While this particular building is little documented, the Co-op’s carved beehive motif – representing a hive of industry – survives on its parapet and other examples survive from around the country.
The building has been damaged over recent decades as the original pilasters and capitals have been removed and replacement modern windows installed. The project to restore this building is part of a multi-million pound Barking town centre regeneration project, developed and delivered by BeFirst and supported by the Mayor of London. The Flemish bond brickwork, parapets and beehive motif of Christina’s will be restored as part of this regeneration project. Three pilasters and capitals will be reinstated between the shopfronts with the possible exposure of some glazed tiles.