Temple, Mount Clare
Restoration of the interior and exterior.
The Temple includes a 1760s painted ceiling with a deep cove, winged female demi-figures, medallions and garlands, surrounds a flat centre bordered with a raised band of guilloche; within this are painted a lute, laurel wreath, and an arrangement of tripod burners and honeysuckle tendrils. The walls once had large Prince of Wales feathers (visible in a Country Life article of 1935), now destroyed (note the rubble on the floor in the picture opposite) plus a relief plastercast of one of the Parthenon frieze panels - presumably added to the Temple after Elgin's acquisition of the Marbles. This last survives but damaged. The windows have been destroyed and are now boarded up.