Galleywall School Bell
We visited John Taylor & Co bell foundry in Loughborough to watch our recasting of Galleywall’s new school bell.
Galleywall School was built in Bermondsey in 1876 for the LCC, designed by School Board architect, E.R. Robson to accommodate 828 children, boys, girls and infants. Many original Victorian features survive, including fireplaces, parquet flooring, spacious rooms and its handsome Victorian bell tower. The area was heavily bombarded during WWII and the building is almost the only tangible evidence of the area’s Victorian past. The tower lost its bell during the bombing and is now being recast thanks to a HOLT grant, generously sponsored by Delancey.
The restored bell will be installed in the school this autumn, to be rung by the children at the start and end of every school day, and on significant days of celebration and remembrance.