Alexandra Palace Theatre
Restoration of the proscenium arch
Opened in 1875 as part of the rebuilt Alexandra Palace, the Victorian theatre was equipped with the latest in stage machinery and technology. The rebuilt theatre was designed to bring "wonder and spectacle" to its audience. After a second fire and long periods of closure, the theatre has been untouched since its last professional use in the 1930s.Restoration will keep a light touch, preserving the evocative Victorian interior. HOLT has given a grant towards the statues of Thalia and Melpomene either side of the proscenium, and the restoration of the proscenium itself.