Galleywall School Bell
Restoration of the school bell
Built in 1876 for the LCC, Galleywall School was designed by School Board of London architect, E.R.Robson, and built by Messrs Hill, Higgs and Hill of Lambeth to accommodate 828 children. While many original features survive (including fireplaces, parquet flooring, spacious rooms, a bell tower), the school and nearby railway lines are the only distinguishable features of the area's Victorian past.
During WWII the surrounding area was heavily bombed and although the school remained relatively undamaged, it is likely that the bell was lost during this period. A big restoration project in 2015 uncovered Victorian shoes, drawings related to WWI, the exercise book of a pupil later killed at Dunkirk and jokes rhymes and riddles written by pupils beneath the floorboards. However, the school's bell tower remained silent.
HOLT gave a grant towards the replacement and installation of a new school bell to complete the restoration project and preserve the Victorian character of the school. The bell is used during school hours as well as on significant national holidays, days of celebration and remembrance and for community festivals.