Roberts for Ekcovision Sign

Restoration of the sign

This is a derelict neon shop sign on a set of terraced buildings in a Balham high street owned from 1928 by the electrical business A. Roberts & Co. The business supplied and repaired radios and charging accumulators & later rented televisions. The large neon sign was erected around 1953 on the proposition of EKCO (Eric Kirkham Cole Limited) - a British electronics company producing radio and television sets from the 1920s until c.1970. It was blue and red neon. The sign went out of repair around 1989 when the Roberts business was sold. The buildings are now owned by two freeholders and let as two shops and two flats.

Newman Signs will manufacture all new metal letters 500mm high using the original as tracing for the design. They will have surface mounted tube LED lighting to match the original.

A local campaign to reach the shortfall for this project is being run by the Roberts family’s granddaughter, Alison Sinclair.

To support her project donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/roberts-for-ekcovision

whitechapel 2.jpg