Southgate Parade Clock
Restoration of the clock
Southgate Parade was built in 1932-33 to the designs of architect Charles Holden (1875 – 1960), of Adams, Holden and Pearson, for the London Passenger Transport Board. Its buildings are Grade II listed and architecturally distinguished with red brick curved ends, full-height glazing and clerestoreys. Holden was an accomplished Arts & Crafts architect who uniquely made the move to modernism, following a 1930 study tour of continental railway stations and modern architecture. He promoted functionalist modernism for his new London station designs, taking advantage of newly available materials. Other Holden stations include Piccadilly Circus, Arnos Grove and Wanstead station.
The art deco wall clock forms an original part of the Parade. It is formed of a concrete roundel with 12 gold button studs marking the hours, an hour and minute hand.
The full restoration of the clock includes repair of the clock mechanism, refurbishment of the giant dial entailing the installation of new hands, ring plates and chapters, all in gilded brass, reinstating missing features such as the missing '6 o'clock’ button and inner gilded ring.