St John the Baptist Church Calvary, Holland Road
Restoration of the Calvary
St John the Baptist Church was built between 1872 and 1885 by the Victorian architect, James Brooks. Its layout is similar to Cistercian churches though grander in detail, and it was built unusually for Victorian churches in London of stone rather than less expensive brick. The Calvary is believed to have been completed in 1910.
The Calvary is badly eroded but a much loved part of the local landscape, often visited by passers-by. HOLT's project will involve recarving and replacing missing parts and securing more fragile areas of stonework.