St Paul’s Recreation Ground
Restoration of the Victorian water fountain
The site for St Paul’s Recreation Ground was purchased for £2,500 on May 28th 1888 by Brentford Local Board from Lady Sophia Jane Lateward Croft Delpierre, using money raised to celebrate Queen Victoria’s 1887 Golden Jubilee. The fountain in the centre of the ground was erected to the memory of ‘the late Mr Montgomery’, honorary treasurer of the Recreation Ground Committee. St Paul’s is now a conservation area; the recreation ground sits at the south end of this, near Brentford High Street.
The fountain was damaged and had long been disconnected from the water supply. It had been vandalised and had lost all its decorative fittings. The conservation project included recarving a granite finial for the fountain to match an archive image, new taps and piping and the installation of fresh drinking water.
The fountain launched in later summer 2021.