Turnham Green Drinking Fountain, Chiswick

Restoration of the drinking fountain

The Turnham Green fountain was given to Chiswick Homefields in 1902 by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association. It is close to Turnham Green underground station and the area has high footfall, including residents from the adjacent Chiswick Back Common. The fountain is in pink granite, with a rosette as a delivery spout, but is not working. It has lost its finial on top.

In order to restore the fountain to use, HOLT's grant enabled its four sections to be dismantled, old plumbing removed and new piping installed. It was then cleaned, its mortar repaired, drainage restored and a new cap stone carved. The lettering was prepared and gilded and all the stonework was waxed and polished. A new connection was established with Thames Water that has restored this fountain to working condition.

whitechapel 2.jpg